Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Thursday, April 17, 2008

April 17, 1944 Monday

Dear Hon,

Here’s a few minutes to tell you a little about Hayes School. We are having a rather luxurious bivouac. Pitching pup tents for four men and burning individual fires of pretty red cedar.

During the day we ran a big tank problem using live ammunition against real targets. Very instructive.

My biggest thrill came this noon; we found a new plowed field near our area and some of the boys picked up chipped pieces of flint that suggested Indian work. I investigated, and what do you know – I found a nearly perfect genuine Indian arrowhead. I will send it to you as soon as possible. I guess they are pretty numerous around here, but it made me feel good to find it.

I love you very much, Hon. Have to start out on a night problem now.

Always yours,
Wallace

Outline of my archaeological remnant

No comments: