Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Thursday, April 3, 2008

April 3, 1944 Monday

Dearest Honey,

Our weekend in Louisville proved to be a long affair, because we stayed over to go to a movie Sunday p.m. and didn’t get back to camp until nearly lights out. That is why I didn’t write. I am sorry I didn’t, Bunny.

It was a good weekend, tho, with a good bunch—Tom, Herm S., Jim D., Aus, and Pat H. We rode in with my bunk-mate Braley and hired a suite at the Seelbach. Had a monstrous dinner in a private little cove of the French Village. T-bone steak, shrimp cocktail, martinis (which greatly resemble hair tonic, I found) and lots else. Then we split up some, but we sifted up to a new place the Elks have at the Henry Clay Hotel eventually. I played billiards for the first time. It is very interesting and exasperating too, I bet. We had some highballs during the evening, but not too many. Even Frankie Brown had one, and you would have to know him to appreciate the fact. Then back to the suite and to sleep very soundly until noon on Sunday. Wonderful beds at the Seelbach. We had another good meal, went to a long movie and came back around 9:30.

The change is the main thing. It’s very good not to be a G.I. for a while. I think of you more in Louisville than here even. It’s fun with the fellows, but we could have so much better times together—just you and me. We could do much the same things, but they would be completely different. Yes, we must be married the very first minute we can, and that won’t be too long, either. By the way, you mentioned a few letters back that you had some complications to get eliminated. Don’t know what they are yet, but maybe you’re just holding out because I promised a long letter over a week ago and never have written it. Well, mine has simmered down to the fact that I want to marry you right away. How are yours making out?

I hope your hand allowed you to work on your coat, so you can have it ready for Easter. I remember once you got a whole new set of things all in blue for Easter. I can remember them just as plain as can be. You were on the high school steps first time I saw you in them.

Well, we have just three more exams in tactics and the end will be at hand. On of them is first thing tomorrow. Am going to cram for it now.

I love you, Darling,
Wallace

No comments: