Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Sunday, April 20, 2008

April 20, 1944 Thursday

Good evening, dearest,

We had a good solid day in the field today. Armored infantry problem with a real enemy and a big area to chase him in. Came back and dashed madly into our new extra specials and acted as part of the reviewing party at tonite’s parade. We are a pretty smart looking class in our uniforms – everybody is young and able and on the ball. Too bad all the army isn’t like this class.

Tonite we turned in our G.I. foot lockers, packs, shelter halves and field equipment. Good to be thru with them, but it took me all evening to re-settle after losing my foot locker. Have two trousseaus in stock now, my new and the old.

Tomorrow we turn in more things, listen to three or four farewell lectures and become civilians for a day – on paper. Oh, I saw what my new serial number will be today – O 547328. O fro officer, 5 for 5th service command – that’s as far as I can interpret. Don’t know what will become of old 11083692 – he was a good number.

Bye now, Hon, I hope everything is just as it should be in Westmoreland. I love you like everything.

Yours always,
Wallac

No comments: