Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

February 21, 1945 Wednesday

France

‘Evening, Hon,

Tonite I feel a little like the Wandering Minstrel. I left the hospital this noon and went to the replacement depot – a trip of about 25 miles. There I found that red tape was extremely minimized. I walked in, presented my orders. They said, O.K., I could return to my unit. I asked about transportation and they just shrugged their shoulders. I could either take off or wait an undetermined length of time for official transportation. I took off after getting one disagreeable look at the depot.

So here I am, wandering thru France looking for my outfit. I have only a general idea where they are, but plenty of faith and pioneer spirit. 

Sounds like a comic opera, but I am spending the night with a portable shower bath company! A friendly captain picked me up and gave me a ride thru Nancy to Toul. He is giving me a lodging for the night. Tomorrow I’ll be on my way again. This is a QM outfit that goes around to give showers to resting troops. My kind of outfit, I can see. Good food, quarters, and amusements. No enemy to worry about. They are the ones that collect the souvenirs of the war. They can carry them with their transportation. 

Toul is an old, romantic town with a real moat around it. Cobbled streets, very, very narrow. Big cathedral. Wonderful. Here are some pictures I bought – actually it is not badly ruined. 

Also here is a Valentine! Little late but still valid. The sentiment is there, but you are much prettier than the girl in the picture! I love you all the time, my Bunny – every little minute. 

All my love, 

Wallace



No comments: