Hosp. – France
Dearest Hon,
What do you think? A lone V-mail found its way to me today, so I spent most of the day reading it. You don’t know how good it made me feel. First word I’ve had from you for almost 7 weeks.
It is the V-mail you wrote directly to the hospital, and you were a little worried about the card that was sent to you from the “casualty” branch. I hope very much that any questions you had have been answered long before now in my letters. I didn’t want you to be left up in the air about me at all, Hon. The first letter, a V-mail, that I sent you was written from here after I had been evacuated over the long route back. I don’t know if I wrote it the 26th or 27th of March. If I didn’t mention my wound on the 27th, it must have been the second or third one I wrote. The first one I wrote told just where I was hit and all. I also sent a V-mail to Laura and the folks and later on to Bob, telling them.
Maybe the wording of the card upset you. It said “slight wound of left thigh and back.” That is right according to the medics, but misleading. The only wound worth mentioning was just above my left knee, which is technically the thigh. It passed thru the leg, making two openings, one on the right (inside) of my leg and one just on the left side of the back part. In addition to that, there were two abrasions on my back. Just slight cuts made by very small pieces of shrapnel, because I was so close to the blast – it could even have been the concussion that caused them, because it did blow me around some. For completeness, there was also a little puncture at the base of my left thumb (that fated left hand), and a piece of metal (which I sent you) in the calf of my right leg.
There, that should answer any questions you have about location. Everything but the main one was all well and forgotten long ago. That is O.K. too, just two lines about so long -------------- [a line about 1.5 inches long with dots on either side to show stitches]. It is a little hard to do a knee bend but I improve each day. I’m O.K. for duty as soon the doc gives me the word.
I hate to think of you worrying, Hon, and wish there was something I could do. It doesn’t hurt to get wounded, I can say that. None of them have given me nearly as much pain as you have, on occasion, on a blackhead raid! That is literally true. And rest assured I take advantage of all available cover at all times. There is no need to worry most of the time, and anyway, we’ve got so many more nice things to do that we haven’t the time for that. I love you and lean on you very much – you do the same for me.
All my love,
Wallace.
No comments:
Post a Comment