Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Thursday, October 1, 2026

April 22, 1945 Sunday

Hosp. - France

Evening, Hon,

I think I have been anticipating the date on my last few letters. Got a day ahead of myself somewhere along the way. This is Sunday, and it has been a full day for me. With the schedule you are folowing it would be a holiday, but it was the most active day I have had for about a month.

Yesterday the Red Cross called and asked if I would serve on a committee to arrange an Enlisted Man-French Girl dance. I got two other officers to work with. All we had to do was take some trucks to nearby towns and pick up some French girls and a G.I. orchestra. Brought the load of giggles here and turned them loose on about twice their number of enlisted patients. Most of them were pretty rural specimens, but the dance was a big success. Lasted from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., then my “committee” rounded up our charges and took them back to their home towns. The Red Cross was the guiding spirit. They do a fine job here at the hospital, and my opinion of the R.C. has risen again. Went to church this morning with a few of the officers. I’ve made some good friends here – my type of people, that is the kind I hope we know after the war. “Red” Anderson, Slim Snedicor, a young fellow named Lindstrom from N.Y.C. We went to a good service, and enjoyed our resounding bass to the hymns. 

I have been learning many things evenings lately in discussions with my own division’s assistant intelligence officer – an experienced government lawyer who was assistant to Biddle [U.S. Attorney General, 1941-1945], charged with all anti-propaganda and espionage work at the time the war broke out. He has been a finance lawyer in Berlin for several years, and was on the inside legal work in the old “Morro Castle” case, and the 50 cruiser-for-land-bases deal that Roosevelt made with England. He was in charge of filing FBI reports on Japanese citizens in California and had to OK personally the first 3000 arrests after the outbreak of war. His name is Pendergast. Intelligent and worldly, he can teach me a lot, and I feel free to ask him many questions each day.

I love you very, very much, Hon, and hope you love me, too.

Always all yours,

Wallace.

No comments: