Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

April 8, 1945 Sunday

Hosp. France

Good evening, Honey,

Guess what happened today! It is with humble pride and genuine emotion that I report – your husband took his first step this afternoon. After struggling to a shaky standing position propped against his bed, he took a deep breath and wove an unsteady course across the ward to the bed of Captain Dodson. Upon arriving to the safety of that spot, his first words were “Keeriste, what a sensation.”

But to explain this radical and unprecedented flight [was] without the aid of crutches. It took an unusual set of circumstances to bring it about. First was the wager, then the doctor, then the 20 marks. Early this morning, after writing a letter to the folks, I made a decision that I must have my stitches removed today. To show I was serious, I bet 20 marks with Capt. Dodson that I would have them taken out today. So when the doctor came around I did everything but stand on my hands to demonstrate that the stitches were ready to be pulled. I didn’t think that standing on my hands would help any, you see, since the trouble is all in my leg. 

He took them out, fast and painlessly. He is an expert on surgery and things like that.

Finally, freed from the restraining stitches, I decided to collect my 20 marks on the spot. It was more to “accentuate the positive” recovery to still-stitched-up Dodson than anything else. So off I took on my own two feet and collected. You will see that it is an old 1914 mark, absolutely worthless. But it was a sweet victory. Now I am due for clothes, physio-therapy, and increased mobility.

The only other event today worth mentioning was the chicken we had for supper. I had about half a chicken on my tray – neck, breast, and wing. Very meaty and tasty.

Also I want to mention again that I am very happy to have the best wife in the world. There are those who have wives of their own who dispute that, but I tell them that I have lived with you, so I know. I say it jokingly but secretly I know it is actually true. Makes me feel contented and hopelessly superior to the ordinary mortals who have just ordinary wives. Over here, you know, everybody envies a married man, and all wish so much they had been married before they came. We showed them! 

All my love, 

Wallace.

No comments: