Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Sunday, September 3, 2023

April 4, 1945 Wednesday

Dearest Honey,

How is my Bunny tonite? All nice? I bet so, how could you be anything else? This is your wandering husband, who wanders and wonders just how long it will be before he can see how nice you are again. ‘Course I know all the time, but each time I hear from you or see you I am surprized just how nice you are. Haven’t done either for some time now, so I like to think of the surprize I have in store for me one of these days.

I guess this paper about completes the rainbow for me in the past few days. The Red Cross gives it out, and altho it is weird, it is all that is to be had.

My adventurous spirit came to the fore today. I was determined to find out a little about where I am. Altho I am still not permitted to ambulate, my leg feels very good. It is not sore now and I can bend my knee quite well. I feel as tho I could walk, but the doctor won’t let me try. So today I defied authority and took off on my crutches. I went all around this floor, and then threw caution to the winds and went down the stairs! There wasn’t anything down there but the first floor, but it gave me a feeling of great accomplishment. This hospital is on the site of an old French army garrison. There isn’t much in one building. The authorities make it difficult for me to spread my wings, by not issuing me even a bath robe while I am a bed patient. I should be able to shake that classification in a day or so now. I imagine they don’t want me walking for fear of breaking the stitches. There aren’t many this time – just a few at each opening.

Today was P.X. day, so I am now supplied with enough candy and cigarettes for a while. I have just finished a full pack of Phillip Morris’ and I found out why most people don’t like them. They give the impression of being very, very dry and after a few they leave a bitter taste in the back of your mouth. I am fairly certain I noticed a real difference in taste – in fact, it was hard for me to smoke the entire pack and I rushed back happily to a Chesterfield.

Today I started a full-sized novel – “Thunder Mountain,” which is a robust, escapist story that holds a lot of interest with its well defined characters.

Will you excuse me, dear, if I close a little early tonite? I started writing late tonite and “lights out” is creeping up on me. As always, you will be the subject of my “dropping off to sleep” thoughts. You seem much closer these days – because I can write more consistently, probably. Remember I always love you more than anyone in all the world, Honey.

All my love,

Wallace.

No comments: