Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

October 31, 1944 Tuesday

Hello Hon,

Here we are all alone again tonite. I just got back from our now nightly officer’s school. Buk and Young are in London, Oley is in the hospital and here am I by myself in a messy tent. By the way, Oley is going to have a hernia operation that will take at least 10 weeks to recover from, so he is being dropped from the company with only dreams of ever getting back to it. That’s really bad, because he is a good worker, and my best pal in the 56th. I guess the fact that he is a college man, too, gave us something in common. We were the only “C” company officers who have been.

Lately I have been doing a lot of side jobs in addition to leading my platoon. These extra duties certainly make a liberal education of being an officer. Today I had the company payroll to get at the finance office—some 1700 pounds. Then I became the inventorying officer for our P.X. I had to oversee an inventory of the entire stock, make out a lot of forms, count all their money and swear that the place was financially sound and operating efficiently. They evidently thought I was from the inspector general or some such, because they gave me all the respect due him. I guess I made them think I knew what I was about. All I did was look reserved and businesslike and see that none of the papers I signed was incriminating. Tomorrow I may have to have to see that the engineers are building their bridges right! Of course, I am always advising our mechanics on how to run our motor pool. It’s wonderful, being expected to be an expert on everything—you have to learn fast to keep from getting into an embarrassing situation!

More on the side than anything, I have been reviewing the employment of my platoon. Officer’s school each night gives me a good chance to keep up on theory and most every day I get plenty of practical work in handling the platoon. Armored outfits have big platoons and there are a thousand things to keep in mind. Men, vehicles, weapons, tactics, security, etc., etc. Sometimes I wish I had certain parts of those notes you said you have been reviewing.

Tonite I finally got some paper to wrap your Xmas gift in. Please forgive the roughness of it all, it’s the best I could do. I only hope they reach you in good condition, and soon! I’ll get that little book off to the folks when I can, but I know you’ll look after the folks in case something goes wrong. Remember to get Bob a diary as a gift, as well as some other little thing. Make them all know that I am thinking of them for Xmas, but just can’t send much but my love. That goes particularly for Grammy, too. I’ve been several weeks trying to get yours in the mail.

My bedtime gets earlier and earlier as it gets colder and colder. Get very sleepy in the air all day. I love you, Honey, more than I can ever say.

Every bit of my love,
Wallace

No comments: