Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

October 18, 1944 Wednesday

Dearest Marjorie,

Tonite I am writing you from the cool but well equipped battalion HQ. Reason: I am the battalion duty officer. Of course, my old typing technique has not left me in the months that I have been away from a typewriter. I am still as good as ever. Any questions?

Last night I started a letter to you and never did get it finished. So I will start all over again tonite. First, the news of the day. Oley got his first lieutenancy, at long last. He has rated it for some time as the anti-tank platoon leader. That pleased everyone except a few who felt that they should have come first. You know how they are. Now I am hoping that Lt. Fairbairn gets his captaincy, and we will have the rank we need in C co.

Today the officers got their monthly ration of liquor. There was only a little gin and some eight quarts of Scotch. We had an officers’ meeting and decided to raffle it off. We all drew a tag from a can. Some drew blank sheets and others drew “Scotch” and some drew “Gin” sheets. I hit is for a Scotch, so I am now one of the eight richest men in the battalion! Scotch is very rare over here and the average man goes mad over it. I haven’t done that, but in this cold weather it is well appreciated now and then. Much more so than in the hot old Texas weather.

The last couple of days Oley and I have been handling the company all alone. I had the pleasure of signing the morning report as the C.O. yesterday. There haven’t been many important decisions to make, I admit, but it has been good experience. Makes my platoon seem like a smaller job to handle. Lt. Fairbairn will be back from London tomorrow.

Well, I have to finish now. I love you honey.

All yours,

Wallace

Oct. 19, 1944
Hello, again,
I’ll add a few words to this now wrinkled letter. Hiked and played football today. Our new general spoke to us today. He is O.K. Gee, I love you Honey. Always. Please don’t forget it. How I wish I would get a letter from you!
All my love,
Wallace

No comments: