Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Saturday, June 7, 2008

June 6, 1944 Tuesday

Dearest Bunny,

Today I was in a division review. Now that is a mighty big affair, with a battalion almost lost in the crowd. You see men for as far as you can see. When you think how many divisions there are, you are impressed at the size of the army.

Of course the review was to celebrate the invasion, which we found out about this morning. That is big news, all right. I’m just praying that things will go fast now. If they do, the war could end up shortly. That’s the thing that is so good I don’t dare think about it. We’ll hit ‘em awful hard then, Honey.

I got all my luggage at the station yesterday—now I have all the little things I’ve been doing without. My diary, for example. That poor thing has been suffering this year. Haven’t written hardly anything in it. I did get ambitious one day and just skim over the first 14 weeks of O.C.S. Now I’m just skimming up to date. I think getting married is worth a short note! Also where I am now.

Have I ever told you how wonderful my wife is? She is so wonderful that I have the feeling I can’t do half the things I should for her, and I ask myself how I deserve so much for doing so little.

That’s true, on, I’m pretty lame at showing how I feel sometimes, and doing the things I should. Anyway, I love you a hundred times more than I ever have anyone, and I want you to let me know whenever I can do something for you.

Nite now. Just going to sleep under that big old prairie moon [full moon on June 6, 1944]. Love me? That’s good. Sleep tight, Mrs. Russell.

All yours,
Wallace

No comments: